Latin at Ursuline
Ursuline Latin courses emphasize a reading approach with the goal of preparing students to read original Latin literature. Attention is also given to composition, pronunciation and English derivatives rooted in Latin. In addition students have the opportunity to explore Roman history and culture and Greek mythology.
Incoming freshmen with a background in middle school Latin will be placed in either Latin I or Latin II Honors as a result of a conversation between the middle school and Ursuline teachers.
Why take Latin at Ursuline?
- Language building skills: Latin grammar reinforces English grammar!
- Increase English vocabulary: over 50% of English is rooted in Latin!
- Latin students historically score highly on ACT and SAT exams.
- Latin builds a vocabulary for medicine and other sciences.
- Latin is a foundation for studying modern Romance languages.
- Latin is ancillary to other studies such as law and music.
- Latin includes culture: mythology, history and Roman daily life.
- Latin classes at UA are historically small.
- AP Latin is offered: always an impressive course for colleges!
- Review games are held in class: vinco, board races, certamen.
- Ursuline Latin Club provides a variety of fun activities.
- Participate in the Ohio Junior Classical League Annual Convention.
- Latin is not dead; it is immortal!
Join the LIVE Microsoft Teams meeting to talk with Ursuline's Latin teacher:
Guidelines for joining live meetings:
- Access instructions for joining Microsoft Teams meetings here.
- Please mute your microphone when entering and stay muted when not speaking (to avoid unnecessary static on the call).
- When you enter a live meeting, please introduce yourself in the chat with your/your daughter’s name, grade, and current school.
- If more than four people are in the meeting at one time, please raise your hand to ask a question (using the "raise your hand" function) or type it in the chat.
- If you do not have the Microsoft Teams app and you are accessing through your web browser, you will be able to access the meeting but you will only see the person who is actively speaking in the meeting. This is perfectly fine, we just want you to be aware.
Latin Honor Society Induction Ceremony
2018 Ohio Junior Classical League (Latin Convention)